4/28/2006

Good News

God, that last post was a long one, wasn't it? And a load of rambling nonsense as well. I'm tempted to delete it, but I think I'll let it stand as a warning to us all (well, mostly me) that post-pub blogging is never a good idea.

Anyways - got some damned good news this week. One of my best mates asked his girlfriend to marry him. And she said yes. Which is great.

The two of them have been together for a while, so I can't pretend it was a surprise, but it was still the best news I've had in ages. I've known this guy for more years than I care to remember, and I can honestly say I've never seen him as happy as he's been since he's been with this girl. He's one of my closest friends, and his fiance (as I'll have to start thinking of her now) has been really good for him, and the more I've gotten to know her the more I can see why. She's turned out to be one of that rare breed - a really honest, genuine person, and I'm glad to say I think of her as being a really good friend of mine before I think of her as being my friend's fiance.

They make an almost sickeningly lovely couple. Just to make the saccharine-fest complete - last Saturday, they asked me round for a few drinks. Halfway through the night, apropos of nothing, my mate turns to his wife-to-be and says - "Shall I ask him now?" She nods almost imperceptibly, and I'm smiling fit to burst before he can even say the words. "Martin - will you be our best man?"

I think my exact words were - "It would be a fucking honour." I had a wall-to-wall grin at the time that was knocking ornaments off shelves. No words could I find, but I think I mimed that a group hug was in order. It was a good hour and a half before my Cheshire smile subsided.

How good is that, though - two people who I dearly love are being joined together in love, and they want me to be a part of it. That's truly an honour. It's the most important commitment they'll ever make, and they want me to be there and have a hand in the whole process. Plus it's another chance to wear a kilt, and show off my scrawny knees to all and sundry.

1 Comments:

At 3:40 am, Blogger k_sra said...

Time to get your scrawny knees out! That'll be your motto for now and always. Congrats on this fortunate and wonderful chance at being in the lives of those you love. Good on ya.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home